Friday, October 17, 2008

Toddlers vs. Teeenagers

We just returned home from "house-sitting" my mom's house while she was out of town. Basically we were supervising her two teenagers. A couple things I've learned from our week at my mom's......First, I am not meant to be a mother of four children! Most days I am barely surviving two......bless all you moms out there! Second, children don't necessarily get "easier" as they get older. As a mom of a 2 year old and a newborn, there are many days that I cling to the hope that "things will get easier when the kids are a little older and more independent." I've now realized that I don't think that's true.
Now, I'm not saying that Mary and Masen (the above mentioned teenagers) are bad or hard children in any way. They are just teenagers, and they gave me a glimpse into our future. Teenagers are mostly self-absorbed, rebellious, lazy, moody, messy, terror-provoking people. At least with toddlers you don't have to become a private detective to figure out what your child is up to. (And heaven forbid you get a teenager like Brian or I were .....we're in so much trouble!)

So, my realization can either lead me to feel that.......Children are physically and mentally challenging at any age, and just get used to the fact that you will worry and stress about them for the rest of your life. Or, children are challenging at every age so you might as well enjoy the age they are at. So, I think I will opt for enjoying the fact that Aubrey and Carson still want me around and are relatively easy to please. You can make Aubrey happy just by reading her Shake dem Halloween Bones for the 32nd time and eating the "birthday cake" she made (plastic peas on top of blocks). Carson cries if I'm in the room and not holding him. I think I needed the reminder to enjoy stage of life I'm in........2:00 a.m. feedings, temper tantrums, and all. Plus, look how cute they are!

2 comments:

Kacee said...

I have also come to the same realization! That is why I'm in a panic to freeze time. So far no luck, but I'm still trying. Maybe Spencer's new magic ward he's ordered will do the trick. And I only have three and a half years until I have a teenager!

The Bissenden's: said...

Oh how fun. As the mother of a teenager (how weird that my daughter and your brother are the same age, I guess Patti and I were prego at the same time) I totally agree with your assesment. But I must say that while they don't get easier even teenagers are fun! But for sure enjoy the stage your are in 'cause before you know it you'll have to alarm your windows and doors to make sure they aren't sneeking out!